Getting to Know You

>> Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Berlin is making me think about how I meet friends. Im getting used to introducing people to each other saying we met, "on the train, at the park, in a cafe"etc. Then again, I guess thats the only way we do meet new people. Random places. And it doesn't get much more random than Berlin. Once we are unleashed into the "real world" we start attracting people into our lives in whatever way we do. In school, we are with students. At work, we are with coworkers. At parties, we are with friends of friends. Same attract same and there is always something in common to start. But how do you break out of the norm? How does one break free from the average world of incestuous friend circles? A new hobby? A new favorite hang out? A new state of mind?
But no matter where you are, there is always something in common. Humanity. And on days like today I feel so lucky to just be a part of it and to be smiled upon by its kindness...

In Marion, the girl I met in Mauerpark while sitting next to her in the big stone amphitheater as we gasped in disbelief at two half naked pregnant dancing karaoke singers. A few days later she took me out for my first proper German meal.

In David whom I met on the train from the airpot and who was kind enough to help me out when I missed my stop. And even though he has lived here for 4 years, a week later I was able to show him a wonderful new Sunday flee market tradition. We ate lots of ice cream!

In Patrick, whom I met at the bar along with his fabulous girlfriend during "angry hour" at a fun local restaurant/pub. In no time we were sitting down in a park for our first (free) guitar lesson. I promised to always bring the beer!



In Marc, the fabulous Englishman whom I met on the plane who treated me to a proper 7 1/2 hour pub style crawl through some of the more interesting parts of the city. We were in search of what he describes to be an Unemployed Turkish Lesbians Collective who apparently makes the most amazing food every year on May Day. We're serious about food!

And so I find that being alone here is harder than I thought. Because people- good, interesting, caring people are everywhere I turn. Everyday. And I cant help but remember how I can sometimes forget.

3 comments:

Ann May 6, 2009 at 5:05 PM  

I'm glad you're meeting so many good people!

Li-Jay May 8, 2009 at 3:08 AM  

I feel special that you chose to catch up on your blog :-) It's always interesting to read. I want to introduce you to my friend Marcus whom lives in Berlin. I think he's in NY right now but he will be back soon. He's a photographer and filmmaker. :-)

Soulistic Static May 8, 2009 at 12:18 PM  

I do need filmmakers... thanks lady!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP