Serendipity

>> Thursday, May 7, 2009






Serendipitous moments are sometimes hard to come by. But one thing has been consistant here in Berlin: when I ask for something, with a pure heart and a clear intention, the answer comes expediently. My trip to London was no exception. Do you believe in random occurrence?

Some wonderful family friends of ours that I have known since I was 4, decided, at random, to fly my mother out to visit them for 2 weeks.  It just so happened to randomly be 3 weeks after I arrived in Berlin. A donor, who will remain nameless (thanks Varetta), randomly felt led to give money so I could come to see my mother. And it just so happened that our friends home was beautiful and exquisite, that my mother is English and had some touching time in her homeland, and that one of my first best friends who generally globe trots (their daughter Holly) and has spent most of the past few years in Africa, was in town and had the time to spend a day with me. Randomly. If you believe anything is ever really random.

So we had tea at the Luton Hoo, took a nice long stroll through the Bluebell Wood that only blooms 3 weeks out of the year and had lovely homemade meals and cocktails out on their patio by the pool. We had deep conversations and we laughed. And I learned a lot about my mom, my childhood and myself. I knew this trip to England was somehow going to tell me why I had come to Berlin.

On one of these days, sometime in the morning when the quiet sunlit patio was just calling my name, I took some paper out and sat down. I knew something was coming. A muse. A genius was on the way. And instead of letting it pass over me I opened my hands and my heart to catch it....

Why have I moved half way around the world? For What? For Whom? 
For love. For Berlin.
So what should I do?
Tell the story.
How?
A documentary style film.
What? That makes no sense. I dont even like documentaries! Im not a history buff. I know nothing of Germany... 
But its you. 
Who me? Really? Couldn't you find someone better for this, Berlin? I mean someone more experienced in this kind of thing?
The heart for it. The inspiration is there...
But...
Believe. 

And so here I am. The theme of the piece still emerging. The reality of this calling still hard to grasp. To be frank, its been a couple weeks now and my head is still spinning. But I have to say, its nice to have a purpose. Its nice to find a way to empty myself of expectation to the point of being filled, like this. And I know its right. Totally insane. But totally right. So, I must begin...

2 comments:

Li-Jay May 13, 2009 at 2:32 AM  

So you've found your purpose!! That's wonderful!! I'm curious cause Berlin, well Germany in general has had a very interesting and unique history......I shall await the story yet to be told.

Unknown June 2, 2009 at 7:09 AM  

thats awesome. enjoy deutchland

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP