GERTRUDE

>> Wednesday, December 16, 2009

In the middle of the night I became aware of just how much water I had consumed before bed. With the mosquito net surrounding my bed and the unfamiliar jungle noises filtering in from outside through the open windows, I tried to go back to sleep. But I soon realized that I couldn’t hold it till morning.

I crawled out from underneath my thin blanket and through the net, slipped on my slippers and wandered sleepily into the bathroom. I sat down and began to feel some blader relief until I heard a prominent thump just behind me. Just then a tiny tree frog, perhaps only 2 ½ inches long, had jumped onto the back of the toilet. I curtailed a little squeak that pulsed in my throat. "Just stay calm, its just a tiny frog." I tried again to relax. "Just complete this common daily ritual. Everything is ok." Then she jumped again- and so did I! I quickly pulled up my pjs and dove back under the perceived safety of my mosquito net.

In the morning when my friend Corame asked me how I slept, I told him about the tiny frog in the middle of the night:

“ A trip to Asia without animals would require a refund,” he said with a smile, “And what did you name your frog?”
After a deep breath and a bit of soul searching I replied:

“Gertrude. Her name is Gertrude.”

3 comments:

Zac December 20, 2009 at 12:05 PM  

Hahahahahah!

That's really all there is to say about that.

City girl.

JOHN MOSBY December 21, 2009 at 12:26 AM  

I suppose finding a frog in the john is better than finding a...

no...

wait...

nevermind.

YiFamily December 22, 2009 at 7:38 AM  

Oh my! Sounds like fun though. You're living an amazing life right now. A life that many could only dream of. You're truly blessed & so am I for knowing you.
Love ya!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP