Happy Slide

>> Friday, January 29, 2010



2010 started off with a bang.

After a long trip back from Goa by way of Mumbai, by way of London, I finally reached Berlin: my sweet, dynamic, frozen home. And as soon as I did, I saw that the streets were still alive with that magical holiday feeling. Christmas markets still lined them with twinkling lights in the snow. "Guten Rutsch" was been said to me everywhere I went. A common wish for the start of a new year it is literally translated: Happy Slide.

On New Years Eve, Marion introduced me to some new german traditions. We drank Bowle, a cherry juice-champagne cocktail complete with vodka soaked fruits. We watched Dinner for One, an 18 minute TV program that airs every year on Dec 31st. A traditional pastime in homes all over Deutchland, ironically, it was in english.

We then proceeded to melt various metal objects by candlight. Yes, I said melt. Also a German tradition called Bleigiessen. After melting tiny figures on a spoon we were instructed to rapidly throw the melted ore into a pot of cold water. By deciphering the shape that emerged, we were supposed to be able to predict what the coming year might bring. I did this 3 times and consitantly got something that resembled a fish. For some lame reason the book just said I should take a bath this year. I was happy to insert my own interpretation that this year was going to go swimmingly.


I made appetizers and Marc made dinner.

The third and final new tradition came by way of table fireworks. I again felt an impulse of childish fear. I could literally hear my mother saying how unsafe it all was. Its funny to be a grown up and still hear that stuff in your head. First the melting, now the exploding! But this part would have to come later, as the actual night of New Years, Marion had forgotten the pyrotechnics at home.

But the explosions came in a way I didnt expect, promptly at the stroke of twelve and beyond. Fireworks EVERYWHERE. All over the place. The city of Berlin was aglow...

I have been to good New Years Eve parties. But the obvious exhuberance all around me was actually a thing of wonder. People were yelling and singing, laughing and cheering, well past midnight. But somehow it seemed to contain more enthusiasm than I had ever heard on this night of the year. And I had the thought that maybe being a worn torn city, maybe the bitter winter weather, or maybe just a sense that life is not necessarily guaranteed might make the start of a new year more meaningful somehow. I couldnt quite put my finger on it, but it was definitely different. Full. Loud. Genuine. My first Berlin New Year.

And I found myself saying out into the night "Frohes Neues!" Happy New Year!

1 comments:

Ryan January 30, 2010 at 2:05 AM  

And a Frohes Neues to you too!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP