The day I was born

>> Sunday, July 19, 2009









The actual day of my birthday was a hoot! I woke up early to ride my new bike to breakfast. Home made and fabulous- complete with a deliciously smelly cheese they had just brought back from Italy, Marc and Bo got me started on a fabulous foot. 


Then, despite my fears, (not having ridden a bike in about a decade) I rode my bike 45 minutes to Prenzlauerberg to make my 11am Grinberg appointment with Rebecca  http://www.grinbergmethod.com/ge/
I had so much anxiety about that ride. I think that happens over time. When you have fallen just enough to remember how much it hurts, its so hard to set that aside and ride with reckless abandon again. But the freedom and strength that came from just doing it, from making myself forget the pain of skinned knees and elbows and just enjoying the ride was truly liberating. The wind in my hair, the peddles beneath my feet, I was 12 again, the world was mine and everything was possible.


 After a great session, I caught up with my friend Guido just before he was off to travel around Germany in his mobile home. On the small patch of fake grass he keeps on the top of his camper van, I layed on my back gazing at an endless sky. And I realized just how wonderful my life is. I remembered how often I forget. 

My beautiful Susannes made me dinner, complete with homemade birthday cake. I dont know if it was the gummy bears or the smiles on their faces. Maybe it was the talks about life and love and being a woman over 30, but it was exactly what I needed. 

I rode home in the dark. After midnight. On quiet city streets. And when I finally arrived back to my apartment, I realized that perhaps by accident, perhaps equal parts seeking and chance - somehow I am here. And in this moment, 
I am exactly where and who I need to be

2 comments:

Ryan July 20, 2009 at 6:08 PM  

You're an incredible woman, Shaleah! Much love from the new world!

Anonymous July 21, 2009 at 12:53 AM  

Absolutely Fabulous!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP