Symbols of Hope

>> Sunday, June 14, 2009

Im going through alot of changes right now. And aside from the fact that I cannot read 3 quarters of the words on the street, I shop, I eat, I live my life as a fully functional Berliner... well, almost...

There are certain things I miss. Understanding what people are saying in a grocery store, in the bar, on the train. Someone asked me for directions the other day and all I could say was "Mein deutch ist nict gut." Wanting to help and not being able to. Wanting to say, "yes, I would like a receipt with that." Wanting to say, "Im really not interested in your sign." But alas, I am an outsider. A foreigner. An immigrant.

But just when I think Im crazy for moving someplace where I dont speak the language, Berlin sends me a sign. Walking down the street with my two Susannes, I found the lady liberty. Literally. A small 4 foot statue just sitting on the side of the road, broken and discarded. Realizing that one womans trash is another ones treasure, I picked her up, dusted her off and took her on the train with me. She is in my room now. A symbol. A monument. A little piece of my country to say, "hey, its all right, you are welcome here." My very own Ellis Island experience. And maybe its the struggle but I have to say that never in my life have I felt this free.

3 comments:

Zac June 14, 2009 at 7:38 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zac June 14, 2009 at 7:51 PM  

Speaking of symbols, I remember talking with you about those funny letters on all the street signs. For some reason it kept tickling the back of my brain...till it giggled and spat this up from my college days:

ligature |ˈligə ch ər; -ˌ ch oŏr|
noun
1 a thing used for tying or binding something tightly.
• a cord or thread used in surgery, esp. to tie up a bleeding artery.
2 Music a slur or tie.
3 Printing a character consisting of two or more joined letters, e.g., æ, fl.
• a stroke that joins adjacent letters in writing or printing.
verb [ trans. ]
bind or connect with a ligature.
ORIGIN Middle English : via late Latin ligatura from Latin ligat- ‘bound,’ from the verb ligare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligature_(typography)

Note the pic about 1/4 of the way down.

JOHN MOSBY June 14, 2009 at 8:03 PM  

If you visit Paris, please don't nab the original one they ahve there. You'll never get it through Customs ;)

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP