Making Wishes

>> Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Ive been in Berlin for a week now, staying here in the apartment of my dear friend Patrick. And very early into this trip I started to notice the differences in our living styles. Sometimes your very best friends can be the most incompatible roommates. So when he left on Tuesday to go to Munich to visit his family for Easter break I was scarred and relieved. Scared to really have to navigate this huge city on my own but happy that we would both be getting a little space.

In the afternoon, after he left, I was sitting by myself in the living room and I closed my eyes and made a wish. I asked Berlin to find me a place to stay for free by the time Patrick returned on the 17th. I realize it may seem strange to ask a city for something, but since I feel sure that Berlin and I have that kind of relationship, it seemed the most obvious thing to do.

My dinner plans in the evening were with two fabulous ladies (both named Susanne funny enough) that I met at a big industry Berlinale party the first time I was here in February. They both live within a block of each other in Prenzlauerberg which is a nice and somewhat posh area here in Berlin (depending on who you are asking). I took the U2 from Nollendolfplatz to Shonehauser Alle and then grabbed another train to the Prenzlauer Alle station. When I got outside and called the ladies they tried to tell me where to go but the combination of my lack of direction and their limited english skills proved to be a frustrating combo. "Ok, you stay right where you are and we will come and pick you up!" My beating myself up for not having a better sense of direction was rapidly put to a stop by their quick and enthusiastic arrival. They honked the horn- smiling and waving. "Hey pretty ladies, can I get a ride?"

We hopped in the car and drove a few blocks. We chatted a bit and I briefly mentioned how I was looking for work and a place to stay when Patrick comes home. "Not to worry," Susanne #1 exclaims, "You will be staying in my flat while I am away in Greece for 3 weeks!" I laughed at what I thought to be a very sweet joke.

After walking up the stairs in this charming old building, we opened the door to her second floor apartment...
Beautiful.
High ceilings, hard wood floors, elegant decorations and beautiful colors. I found out within a few minutes that she is a designer in Berlin and she has her own company. I told her how much I loved her place and how talented she was. "And just think, we will be neighbors!" says Susanne #2.

"Are you serious?"
"Of course, said Susanne #1, "Im real."
"And when do you leave?"
"I leave on the 17th."
"Of course you do," I said with a smile.
Berlin strikes again!

2 comments:

JOHN MOSBY April 16, 2009 at 10:16 AM  

Glad to hear things are going well. And that bus-drivers there are like buses here... none for ages and then three come along at once.

Heading to LA next Tuesday... really just to see what state you left it in. Keep blogging! - J

Jen Howes April 22, 2009 at 4:59 AM  

can't wait to hear more....hope you are doing well. i am so living vicariously through you, so keep the updates coming! miss you - take care!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP