Ich bin...

>> Wednesday, February 10, 2010


The road to legal status in Germany is not an easy one. Im sure thats not a shock.

There are hassles with registration and health insurance. They want to see your diploma, your resume, your bank statements. They want you to prove that you really want to be a part of this place. I started the process in April last year and the Ausländerbehörde has had my full paperwork since July 2nd. Over the course of this process of trying to prove that I am worthy, I actually started to question whether or not I am . But after countless pages of paperwork in German, visits to the visa office, taking a number, standing in line, paying processing fees, visits to the insurance guy, buying the wrong kind of health insurance, buying some more, registering and re-registering my address, a million conversations that began with, "do you speak any english?", worrying and waiting...

I got it.

My visa.

On Jan 4th 2010, Berlin told me I could stay.

And after I did a little dance in the visa office hallway, so joyfully that my friend Marc literally had to pick me up off the floor, I knew what I had to do... currywurst. Something I have come to know as a Berlin speciality: sausages in a curry ketchup sauce with fries. I like mine rot/weiss (red and white- ketchup and mayo) on the side. I sat there with my victory meal drinking a Berliner Pilsner and breathed a looooooooong sigh of relief as I gratefully uttered the words:
"Ich bin ein Berliner!"

4 comments:

Ryan February 11, 2010 at 4:02 AM  

Welcome home. It's not a good European country unless the food is disgusting upon description and delicious upon digestion. Good on you!

JOHN MOSBY February 12, 2010 at 12:12 AM  

Congrats! You are now an official European - welcome to weather.

Now, one day...if you could just have a word with America about letting me stay there, then we'll call it a fair balance :)

Patrick February 12, 2010 at 6:26 AM  

hooooray!!
or "zickezacke, zickezacke, hei hei hei!!" as we say in Berlin...
sometimes

YiFamily February 14, 2010 at 6:44 PM  

Yeah! I'm so happy for you.
I can't believe that my computer kept taking me to the "transport" blog. So happy to finally read ALL of your updates.
Stay warm.
Love ya!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP